Did you know that the State of Florida requires insurance companies to offer reduced rates for homes with certain hurricane resistant features?
According to Florida Statutes, insurance companies are required to offer Florida homeowners "discounts or credits" for construction techniques that reduce damage and loss in windstorms. These discounts which became effective in 2003, can save you up to 40% on your windstorm insurance and can be obtained by having a mitigation inspection performed on your home.
Will you qualify for mitigation discounts?
Wind mitigation discounts are justified because stronger, more wind-resistant houses have lower windstorm losses. Lower windstorm losses equal reduced costs for the insurance companies that are then passed on to the consumers. Over 90% of existing homes have one or more of the wind resistive construction features and may qualify for some insurance discounts. In addition, houses built after 1994 in Miami-Dade or Broward Counties and homes built after 2002 in the rest of the state generally have many wind resistive construction features and will likely qualify for significant credits. An insurance mitigation inspection can be performed to learn what features of your home may qualify for discounts. For exact quotes or discounts, you must contact your insurance agent or the individual insurance company in question.
The following items are building features that reduce wind damage:
- Roof coverings such as shingles that meet the FBC requirements.
- Shape of roof (hip, gable, flat, etc…).
- Roof decks that have been installed with large nails and close spacing.
- Material of roof deck.
- Hurricane clips or straps that attach the roof structure to the walls.
- Protection of openings (windows and doors) with shutters or impact glass.
- Secondary water barrier that prevents the roof from leaking if the roof covering is damaged.
- Condos and homes built to the Florida Building Code in Miami-Dade and Broward Counties after 1994. (Homes built before this date may still qualify for discounts)
We can perform these Insurance Mitigation Inspections that help you save money year after year on the wind portion of your insurance premiums. Every Miami homeowner should take advantage of the benefits of having an Insurance Mitigation Inspection performed on their home. Let us help you lower your windstorm insurance premiums. Contact us today.